Saturday, May 21, 2011

Where's my internet! Aggg!

Ok, here's what happened. Last weekend, I called the phone company to complain about a problem that's been going on for the last few years -- when it rains, I can barely use the phone because of the noise. It doesn't bother me all of the time, so I let it go.
Wednesday, the young man came to fix the telephone. I was on the internet when he was up on the pole, and I noticed I wasn't connected to the internet anymore. I thought, ok, no problem, he probably had to disconnect something. I finished my transaction at my workplace before I started work.
Wednesday night, the clarity on my phone was great. But I had no internet. I spent at least an hour on the phone while they tested various things. The phone company's position is that I needed a new modem, which will come within 3 -5 business days. Oh, great. So you see no connection with the guy on the pole and my lack of internet? Guess not.
I grant that I'm not all that technical with computers and my modem is a few years old. Maybe it is the modem, maybe not.
But, in the meantime, I never realized before how much I'm entertained and informed by the internet until it was taken away from me. Argh. I check it at work. (I do adjust my time for the internet checking.) I even connected my phone line to my old computer and used Juno's dial-up. (Slow, and the IE on that computer is very, very old.)
I'm going through withdrawal. I'm begging time from my local coffee shop (Thanks, LA Coffee!) and my sister (Thanks, Kathleen and Bob!) I'm wishing I had a phone that had its own wi-fi. What would be worse? If I didn't have a computer!
And that's just plain sad. I'm old enough to have lived before widespread computer usage, before the internet, before cable, before pocket calculators. Howcum I miss my internet so much?
I don't know. *sigh*
Well, back to the real world for me. Just don't expect me to reply very fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment