Sunday, May 8, 2011

To Mom, with Love

My mother left us five years ago. She could be irritable, demanding, and insistent. She wasn't always patient, and did not suffer fools gladly. She could be mad at you one minute, and concerned in the next. She hated housework, dishes, and sewing, yet she was a housewife all of her life. She was often in pain from a neck injury, and had headaches every day. In the last six years of her life, she lived in a nursing home, and because extremely patient.
She was also loving, supportive, fun, and funny. She didn't need to discipline me, she could quell me with a look. She went to my choir concerts, even though she was extremely tune-deaf and couldn't tell one note from the next. She always knew when I had done my best, but then she knew when I could do better and encouraged me to do so. She lived long enough to see me published and was happy for me, even though she wasn't able to read my story.
She was a fan of all Disney Parks, cozy mysteries, and the original version of Star Trek. She loved to travel, and she loved taking slides and pictures. She loved her husband of 50 years, her daughters, sons-in-law, and her grandchildren.
She was my friend, and I miss her.
To you, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment