Friday, June 24, 2011

"How I Learned to Hate Shadows - or - The Demons of my Sophomore Year"

Just for the fun of it, I'm entering a contest put on by Shelly Waters (her Blog here) just to get some more criticism and input on that Novel I wrote last year.  (And to get it read by the agent, Victoria Marini of the Gelfman Schneider Literary Agency.)  If you've seen my other Blog posts, you'll know I created a new beginning.  The info is below:

*Note:  edited due to comments.

Title:  How I Learned to Hate Shadows Or The Demons of my Sophomore Year
Genre:  YA Paranormal
Length:  34053 words -- yes, I know that's short, I'm debating whether to combine it with the second part,  making it over 86,000 words.

First 250 words:


Dad died in my dreams again that morning – the morning before they came.

            Dad and I stood in our kitchen.  He was cooking hamburgers.  Mom had to work late.  He wanted some father and daughter time.  We had just begun to talk.  I didn’t want to tell him, but I was having a hard time in school. 

He prodded until he finally got it out of me.

I told him I knew no one liked me. 

He laughed, said, except for your buddy, Bennie, and asked how I knew no one liked me. 

I said, I just do.

I didn’t want to tell him why I knew.

He got serious and asked, are people bullying you? 

I never could lie to Daddy.  I lifted my head up.   I was going to tell him.  I know they hate me, Daddy, because I can read people’s minds, I said.

            He looked surprised.

            I thought I saw something dark enter his chest. 

            Then he collapsed.

            I screamed. 

            I fell to my knees.

            He was staring at me.

            No, he wasn’t.  He was just staring.

            He wasn’t breathing.

            I jerked up, grabbed the telephone, and dialed 911.

            Then I woke up in my bed crying.  The sun was shining; the prism I hung in the window reflected rainbows around the room.  But I stared at the ceiling.  Why did he have to die?   The dreams had just begun to go away.

            And what was that dark thing?  That hadn't happened.

            Had it?

14 comments:

  1. I think you do a great job with voice and with the drama part of the dream. Good tension. I want to see the first graf broken up a bit into another paragraph or two. I like the idea that she can tell what others are thinking. I think there is a typo in there about that part, though. Again, I think you captured a teenage girl's voice well. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kristi. You should break up the first paragraph. Otherwise, the sense of immediacy and urgency is really strong, and the use of the short, staccato sentences is an effective way of building tension. But I'm confused as to whether the dream is more of a memory or just a fantasy stemming from her father's death?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Just got on today. I agree about the first paragraph, and I'll look for the typo. The dream is sort of a teaser for the rest of the book and what she learns about her father's death, but with only 250 words, it's hard to communicate that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. A dream opening. Interesting choice.

    The first two sentences are REALLY passive. Let's see:

    "I had that dream again that morning. My Dad and I were in our kitchen."
    'were' can be 'stood', and you can make the first sentence more active and also convey some sort of emotion. 'That dream plagued me again that morning'?

    No one doesn't have a hyphen, and never underline anything in text. Even book titles and stuff should be in italics.

    Definitely break up the first paragraph. Many times. A quoteless narration is an interesting technique, but if you're going to do it, you really need to give us that breathing room. "I put my head down" and "I lifted my head up" are in such close proximity that it feels jerky, almost like a staccato motion.

    There are also some grammar problems ("didn't wanted") but the flow of the first paragraph is the thing that gives me the most pause.

    Interesting conflict. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd maybe cut "that morning" out, because it's just too much info. We want to be focused on the dream. Morning info comes later.

    Personally, I'd love it if you used ( " )s for your dialogue, because it's a little confusing to read without them.

    Right when the character wakes up, after "trembled" I'd love a short description of location to anchor the story. "Light poured through my bedroom window" or "the sheets were tangled up at my feet" or something to help us make the transition to real life.

    Good terrifying elements to the dream. There's kind of a horror vibe that I'm digging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the tension here and want to read more - she seems to be seeing premonitions... Like others have said, the first paragraph needs a bit of work, plus I wonder if opening with a dream is a hard start - considering most agents I follow always say don't start with a dream.

    Though I really like the horror element here.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments. It's been redone, due to comments. That was not the original opening; my original opening started in school, and I had changed that due to comments.

    "Didn't wanted" -- argh, bad editing! I know better. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lorraine
    Interesting start. Not sure what it all means.
    Couple things:
    I don't love how it's all told to me without dialog. Would like to actually feel the scene with all five senses. Hearing it as recollection makes it dim for me.
    Dream-sequence openings are considered cliche. Besides, I can never remember the number for 911 in my dreams, so it's hard to believe.
    Is there some reason why this can't be a conversation with his dad about the dream? Then I can really feel the tension between them.
    I like how things happen right away, I just want it to feel more real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very intriguing. Nice job creating dramatic tension!

    However, the voice feels almost passive to me. It's the POV, I think. It doesn't feel... as urgent as it should, again, it feels passive and removed.

    But I'd definitely read more:)

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you tell us it's a dream but I felt the scene choppy and didn't draw me in. Maybe try showing us a bit and hinting to why this is important info. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always appreciate concise writing––but I think what you have here is a bit *too* concise. I think you could vary your sentence structure a lot more. Right now all the sentences are very short and non-descriptive. As a few other people have mentioned, I also had a problem with there not being quotation marks. I understand it's a stylistic choice; in some cases, this can work. But in this case, I feel like it's hurting the writing more than helping it. I also agree that the "dream" beginning is clichéd. And I'm guessing it's a memory, not just a dream, so it could probably be the same thing––just not in form of a dream, if that makes sense.

    However, it is intriguing. I'd like to know who the main character is, why she can read minds, why her father died, etc. It's very creepy and makes the reader wonder about a lot of things.

    Good luck!

    - Brigid

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to think about this The rest of the novel isn't like this at all. (I wanted to project the unreality of dreams.) You can't tell that the main character is actually pretty snarky. That's the problem with just 250 words. Hmmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Brigid that it may be a bit too concise, and yet I was reading eagerly trying to figure out what was going on. I've seen the no quotations work before. You could put the whole thing in italics when published to show that it's a dream state as well.

    The other issue I had was with the combination of Dad and Daddy. It seems like she uses both and you may want to use "my father" when referring to his death and "Daddy" to emphasize her closeness at certain points. Dad and Daddy can be a bit too similar.

    I want to know more about if her reading minds is what caused these things to come after her father and who "they" are!

    ReplyDelete