Saturday, June 11, 2011

Being Lazy or What?

I've been tremendously lax lately.  I know I should be sending my novel out to agents and/or publishers, but it's so darned easy to sit back and do nothing, watch TV, go to work.  I don't have to have the pressure of sending my baby out there to be criticized, do I?

No.  And yes.

If I don't try, I run the risk of copying the biblical parable of hiding my talents.  Even if you're not a believer of God, it's almost a crime to not be all that you can be.

I get "accused" by some people of working too hard.  I almost always have a feeling I'm not working hard enough, that I'm giving up on my dream, that I'm working just to survive rather than to contribute.  Yes, I'm often satisfied by my day jobs -- I don't hate my days jobs -- but I don't love what I do, either.  They are not my passion.  I'm so much happier when I'm creative.

But it's often so much easier to drift along and say "I'll write tomorrow, I'll submit tomorrow."

No.

I'll stop here and try to do something every day.  I refuse to hide my talents.  I'm not going to hide my light under a basket.  I may never be famous, but at least I'm going to try to follow my passion!

Today, I entered another contest here.  The writer of the Blog is Shelley Watters, the agent is Victoria Marini of Gelfman Schneider Literary Agency.  I know I could just submit to Ms. Marini directly, but this contest has the advantage of the first page being read by everybody in the contest -- and getting critiques.  In the meantime, I'll work on the fan fic I started.

Hey.  It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment