Friday, April 22, 2011

To Blog or not to Blog

I've been thinking a lot about Blogs lately. For those authors who actually have books to sell, I can see that they could be an invaluable marketing tool. For people like me, who has, so far, two whole stories up at smashwords.com (under L.J. Anderson), and one professionally published short story -- well, the whole blogging experience seems a bit like writing in a diary.

However, unlike a diary, a blog is in the public eye, even if nobody else actually looks at it. Some stranger across the country could be looking at what I happen to think, or, even worse, somebody living in my home town. Or my bosses. Which makes writing in a blog a bit -- dangerous. One of my jobs is in a local accounting firm, where, of course, privacy is a huge concern, the other is as a bookkeper in a local lumberyard. This means that writing anything about clients or customers is out, in a big way. I'm no fool.

It took me a while -- perhaps through tax season? -- that, golly, I can write about other things besides my jobs. I can try to talk about my third job -- still a hobby -- writing. I can write about things around town. I can write about travel. I can write about fandom. Ok, I know, this isn't an original idea.

But at least I'm writing. And that's the point, right? Even if nobody else reads this but me.

3 comments:

  1. I have always loved to write too, but worried that everyone would think I was crazy. That is why I've never shared any of my stories with anyone, and I am terrible at proofreading my work.
    I am interested in what your blog has to say. Maybe one day I'll do my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still learning... I just realized I had two comments! Today!

    ReplyDelete