Monday, July 25, 2011

When did I get old? Or did I reach that at 10?

I had a discussion with somebody on Facebook today. The person is very passionate in her beliefs -- I respect that -- but seemed to lack a sense of humor. I began to think that she felt she was right and that her facts she knew was the complete truth of the world and no other view was possible. (And I truly hope I'm not doing her a disservice.) I looked her profile up, and, sure enough, she was in her early to mid-twenties. 

Passion is great. I think passionate, dedicated people are going to change the world.

My problem is that I don't remember ever feeling passionate or dedicated about anything, unless I was trying to protect the underdog.  I was and am a "whatever will be, will be" sort of person. For example -- I am a Christian.  Christians are supposed to witness.  I certainly hope that I am witnessing by my actions, because I hated be witnessed at when I was in college and I refuse to do it to anyone else, unless asked specifically by that person. (Wait, somebody says, didn't you become a Christian in college?  Well, yes, but it certainly wasn't because of that person who witnessed to me.  I read Pearl Buck's "The Story Bible", and all of a sudden, Christianity and a belief in God started making sense to me.  I can't tell you why.  I wasn't "Born Again" with all of the negative connotations, but I do think that there's something greater out there that we name "God" and that Jesus was and is, somehow, his "Son."  I've read the Bible; I hope to see things clearly after my physical body passes.)

How'd I get on religion?  Sorry.  Told you I rambled.

Back on passion. I'm not passionate.  I've never married, I barely had a boyfriend (more like a few crushes that never went anyplace), I don't even write compulsively like some people do.  I was born old and stayed there.  I could talk easily with people my parents and grandparents age, but not to my own classmates.  I can remember being completely surprised only a very few times, and I'm not really sure I know what true happiness is.  (Contentment, yes.)  I do get angry, especially when I a) feel powerless, b) feel accused, or c) am trying to protect someone else.

Does this make me old?  Or just emotionally stunted?  Or would I rather be amused by people than argue with them?

Oh, well.  Que sera, sera  : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZbKHDPPrrc

No comments:

Post a Comment